Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Do Cyclists Follow Road Rules?

This is what seems to worry myself with cyclists! I don't have any gripes regarding cyclists, in fact I have been a part time cyclist (and I mean part-time cyclist) and have taken bikes on roads or park with full head gear.

Cyclists do not have to have a licence nor are they required to study the road rules - yet they just ride on the roads and sometimes think they rule the road. We even have children riding bikes on roads, criss-crossing, driving on the wrong side of the road and most importantly wrong not wearing the appropriate helmet head gear to protect cyclists with head injuries. This has been confirmed by the New South Wales Roads & Traffic Authority: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/bicycles/index.html .

Laws and penalties are also provided via this website: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/bicycles/cyclingrules.html#top Fines are applicable yet very hard to police and catch them!

I think our group needs to promote and provide public safety awareness to ensure we care of our cyclists as well they care of the community and of other transport.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From the other side of the windshield...
I've had to put my bicycle sideways in the middle of multi-lane roundabouts because people in cars (big or small) or busses don't bother to give way to their right. Or don't realise I'm there, until they look at me with an "oh my goodness" blank look on their face.

If a car driver hits a cyclist it will be a nasty surprise for the car driver, but life will go on. So if you're going to hit one, I hope that it will be the cyclist at fault when you do.

Save Our Bus Services

Read our story on how we made it our priority to ensure bus services are re-instated from services taken away in 2009.